The Boston Public Schools Arts Expansion Initiative is a multi-year effort to expand arts education in schools across the district. Launched in 2009, BPS Arts Expansion is focused on a coherent, sustainable approach to quality arts education for all Boston Public School (BPS) students. A true public-private partnership, BPS Arts Expansion has brought together local foundations, the school district, arts organizations, higher education institutions and the Mayor's Office. This collaboration of local leaders along with students, families, and school staff believe in the power of art to develop creative, engaged learners.
BPS Arts Expansion's focus is to ensure that all BPS students, regardless of where they attend school, have access to high quality arts education.
|Expanding Direct Arts Education|
To reach 100% of all students in grades pre-K through Grade 8 through once weekly, year-long arts instruction and develop targeted strategies to meet the needs of high school students.
At both central office and school levels to support systematic expansion of arts education throughout the district.
To build strong and sustainable partnerships between schools and the rich and diverse arts, cultural, and higher education institutions in Boston.
Progress to Date
Between school years 2009-2016, an additional 17,000 elementary, middle, and high school students experienced the arts during the school day. This significant progress was the result of both public and private investment in arts instruction, including the work of arts partners to provide arts education experiences during the school day.
One of the primary tools of BPS Arts Expansion is the BPS Arts Expansion Fund, managed by EdVestors, that supports direct arts instruction in schools aligned with BPS Arts Expansion's goals. Arts organizations and schools may jointly apply for grant funding for their collaborative projects. To learn more about the fund and to apply for grants, please visit EdVestors' website.
Documents, Reports, and Case Studies
- 2016 Case Study-Dancing to the Top: How Collective Action Revitalized Arts Education in Boston
- 2015 Infographic - BPS Partners Speak
- 2014 Report - From Schooling to Learning: Leveraging Community-Based Arts Education for Credit
- 2014 Report - Survey of Public School Parents in Boston on Arts Programming
- Arts Expansion Initiative Overview Brochure
- 2014 Infographic - BPS Arts Expansion Initiative Updates
- 2014 Report - Students Speak: The Arts Advantage from a Youth Perspective
- 2014 Infographic - Students Speak: The Arts
- 2014 Infographic - Students Speak: What Kind of Arts
- 2014 Infographic - Students Speak: Why the Arts?
- 2013 Arts Advantage - A Case Study: The Impact of Arts Education in Boston Public Schools
- 2011 Arts Advantage – BPS Arts Expansion Progress Report II
- 2010 Arts Advantage – BPS Arts Expansion Progress Report I
- 2009 Arts Advantage Report